An excellent air cleaner buying guide can help you identify which air purifier suits you. Some air purifiers are great for one thing yet not another. Some technologies work and some try not to. Our air cleanser buying guide will help you identify what to watch out for and support you in finding just the right air cleanser to your requirements.
FAQ about Air Cleaner:
- Air cleanser buying guide – what to consider
- Air cleanser buying guide – must haves
- Air purifier buying guide – nice to have
- Air cleanser buying guide – maybe
- Air cleanser buying guide – try not to touch
- Air purifier buying guide – other things to consider
Air cleanser buying guide – what to consider
The first thing to take into account before buying an air cleanser is what you wish to make use of the air cleanser for. Whether you want to lessen your allergy or asthma symptoms, remove tobacco smoke or dust through the air or simply just wish to create a more healthful indoor environment – a beneficial air cleanser is actually the best/only proper solution for airborne contamination. Due to their ability to take the broadest array of pollution from the air, home air cleaners are an ever increasingly popular household item. Air purifier buying guide – Common concerns and symptoms:
- Dust Mite
- Removing Dust
- General Air Quality
- Traffic Pollution
- Pet Dander
- MCS (Multiple Chemical Sensitivity)
- Tobacco Smoke
Air purifier buying guide – must haves
HEPA Air Purifiers
- Certain things are thought ‘must haves’ for a good air purifier. An effective air cleanser has, as an example, the appropriate filters to remove or significantly decrease the types of pollution in your house you are concerned with. The air cleaner will also have to be able to complete a suitable amount of air changes within the room you plan to utilize it in. Unfortunately, an enormous majority of air purifier manufacturers are wilfully misleading in regards to the performance of these electronic home air cleaners. Things such as filtration efficiency, level of air flow, noise level and what forms of pollution the air cleaner can cope with are often obfuscated by many manufacturers – either because they do not know much about air purification or as they do not would like you to learn the reality concerning the performance of the product. What filtration efficiency, airflow and sound pressure you require, or is right for you, relies on your particular concern. We shall discuss each performance indicator within the section below in more detail.
Air purifier buying guide – nice to possess
Some options that come with an air cleanser are not absolutely necessary, but can be considered ‘nice to haves’. A filter life indicator is, for example, a rather useful feature to own. The filter life indicator will notify you once the filters need to be changed. Replacing the filters in the required time will make sure the air cleanser is performing since it should and protects the fan from being damaged.
- Unfortunately, there is absolutely no decent air purifier that is small enough to easily fit into the palm of the hand and will be carried around easily. Why don’t you? Well, there are limits to the physics of what is possible. You would not expect a washing machine how big is a toaster in order to do a proper load of laundry. Similarly, you must not expect an air purifier how big is a toaster in order to go enough air to help you to correctly purify an averaged size room. Casters can really help make it significantly much easier to move your air purifier around the house, especially if you have a unit that may handle considerable amounts of air. Handles are also useful, since it enables you to easily lift the system from a single room to a different.
Handheld Remote Control
- Enables you to easily control and change the settings associated with air cleaner from a comfy distance, increasing accessibility.
- Unfortunately, we come across it all the full time that even the big companies with household names make air purifiers without providing a warranty for just how long it’s possible to shop for replacement filters. Once the unit just isn’t selling well any more, or they feel it is time to “upgrade” it and change its looks and features, the model in addition to creation of the replacement filters for it are discontinued.
- Turning the machine on / off during times of the day/week, enables you to save energy and prolong the filter life.
Multiple Fan Speeds
- Affect the speed setting to your preference, to match your indoor pollution level or sound preference.
Air cleanser buying guide – maybe
- Ionic home air cleaners are marketed as being quiet and efficient; however, in addition they have a tendency to release ozone into any room, not making them perfect for everyone.
Air purifier buying guide – usually do not touch
- Keep clear of electronic home air cleaners which can be straight up ozone generators. These units produce large amounts of ozone by design and form a serious threat to your health.
- Some home air cleaners use a filter density known as Ultra-Low Particulate Air (ULPA), claiming that is more advanced than HEPA (High Efficiency Particulate Air). These filters drastically reduce airflow so when such limit the performance regarding the air cleaner.
Incineration and Combustion
- This kind of filter technology will not take pollution from the air, but merely burns it. Burning dust as well as other pollution in the air does not directly result in cleaner air… also, whilst incineration will not allow you to move quite definitely air quickly – a vital need for any decent air purifier.
Air purifier buying guide – other things to consider
- Any air purifier you purchase in the united kingdom should come with a 2 year warranty; some air cleanser manufacturers make an effort to sell you additional extended warranty or make an effort to get your contact details in substitution for additional warranty. Make sure to check what the warranty covers, such as for instance motor/ fan, display, other electrical components and labour. Consumables, such as for instance filters are usually not included in an air purifier warranty. Also, make sure to check if customer action will void the warranty. Most warranties will for example only apply to the first purchaser of the unit and will not transfer to subsequent owners.
- As you care able to see through the table below, different concerns require different filtration efficiencies. The larger filtration efficiencies are accomplished by HEPA or HyperHEPA filtration (provided that it pertains to the whole system filtration efficiency and not simply a ‘theoretical’ filter efficiency) whilst lower filtration efficiencies are achieved from using filters with a lesser filtration efficiency such as ‘HEPA-like’ or ‘HEPASilent’ filters. It’s very common that manufacturers usually do not display the actual filtration efficiency associated with the air cleaner all together, but only provide customers with a misleading theoretical filtration efficiency. If ionisation can be used then it’s worthwhile to know that the filtration efficiency will decrease the more polluted the collection surface/filter gets. The performance of this unit can drastically decrease because of this. Furthermore, in the event that unit just isn’t leakage free, the degree of leakage will increase while the filters become more loaded too, further decreasing efficiency. Thus, some ionisers may have a high filtration efficiency to start with but over time the filtration efficiency will gradually decrease.
- The noise level will vary with respect to the speed setting the system will be used on. It is important to consider carefully your noise tolerance, and take into account where in fact the air cleanser should be used. All proper electronic home air cleaners will produce some amount of noise; with regards to the speed setting the unit is being used on. However, you should not compromise the cleaning performance of this unit for the comfort of reduced noise levels. A fan this is certainly too small or this is certainly moving too slowly may not be pushing enough air to correctly filter the atmosphere inside the room it really is getting used in. A very important factor to be wary of is if manufacturers are not specifying the noise level on different speed settings associated with the air cleaner. It really is unfortunately quite common for many manufactures to advertise their air cleaner only regarding the noise standard of the quietest settings. According to the technology used, some electronic home air cleaners are quiet at first but become noisier the more used the filters are. In the event that filters are loaded, then the unit will emit more noise because the unit is working significantly harder, attempting to pull air through the filters. To find out more about assessing the noise degrees of an air purifier visit our Blog post Quiet Air Purifier
- Investigating online can be helpful; however, it is tough to say how liable a source really is. Some sites are not particularly experienced in air purification. Some formerly independent review sites have already been bought by air cleaner manufacturers, and today trying to promote their particular products since the best. Listed here is a listing of sites that do independent air cleanser testing:
- Consumer Search
- Consumer Reports
- Best Buy
To see overview of some of the best air cleaner testing sites, visit our air purifier reviews on location: air cleanser reviews
- Regularly maintaining an air cleaner is very important to guarantee the unit is working effectively. To have maximum performance from the air cleaner it is important to replace the filters regularly. You need to find out of the cost and average life span of each filter before purchase. However, remember that actual filter life will greatly rely on usage and contamination levels. Be wary of air purifiers which require very frequent filter replacements. Also be aware of home air cleaners which require you to clean/or wash the filters.
- The manufacturer’s reputation is an important deciding factor, as the experience of past customers deserves some consideration. Some manufacturers and items are highly respected in the air purifier industry for a reason, building their portfolio over the years through products which work and providing great customer support. You will always find manufacturers who make various claims about their products or services but have very little to support these claims.